Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Wednesday

It's a Matter of Making Music

Usually my work is somewhat cynical in nature and indeed I've been described as a "Grumpy young man".  However, this is a positive post.  Sort of.  In one of my recent articles -  Making Noise about Social Media - I discussed the world of P2P file sharing with regards to the music industry, I interviewed musical performer and all round good bloke, Akira The Don as well as a representative of a leading record label.  I like to think of that article as a debate, a discussion if you will.  However, this article is full of something very different.  Praise.


But before you think a leopard has changed its spots and because more than anything I like doing it, i'll start with a little moan.  Why is it that people who describe themselves as "massive music fans", never pay for it?  Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?  The dubstep heads, the D&B listeners, the electro kids, all of them, serial Limewire users.  I'm not going to lie, I used to download music, before I really thought about music as an industry, rather than just a song.  So I was delighted to learn about a new venture called Why Music Matters.

This 'movement' has been created by artists, retailers, songwriters, labels and managers and has the purpose of "reminding consumers of the significance and value of music".  Ironically, the medium in which they are raising awareness of this value is through the use of short films.  They concentrate on artists throughout history who have changed cultures or had particular impact through their music.  Including artists ranging from The Fron Choir to The Jam to Kate Bush, they overtly want to raise awareness of legitimate music services, how beautiful music is as art and in the end and stamp out the ever increasing illegal downloads.

For me, a particular pleasure of the campaign, is their direction.  They propel a knowledge of the industry, a deep rooted understanding of music and music production and are targeting the attitude rather than the action.  There have been various other movements against illegal downloads, but took the direction of criticism and anger towards the 'downloader'.  Why Music Matters seem to have understood that this is not the correct path.  They are merely trying to shed light on well, why music matters.  By reminding people of that, they hope the potential file sharers will become real music fans.  Their passion is infectious.  

They are raising awareness about their venture via the medium of social media.  It is clear that more than anything, they do not resent 'downloading' and are aware of the shift in the industries core marketplace, as long as it isn't illegal.  It is this peaceful not preachful attitude that I respect more than anything.  Their means of action is merely a trademark.  "The trust mark is a widespread certification scheme which identifies legitimate music services."

We live in an increasingly digital world.  19 out of every 20 tracks downloaded are done so illegally.  Why Music Matters work on the attitude that they, music fans, are legitimately supporting the artists, musicians, songwriters and everyone involved in creating the music when it is downloaded.

I am happy to announce this is my first excitable, positive (sort of) article about something I hope will truly take off.  As a music fan myself, not a pop-puppet, but a music fan, I live in hope.






2 comments: